Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Weekend

The Memorial Weekend is a weekend that all of us look forward to. We spent our weekend with our friends Drew and Ashley Whiting at the Sucher Family cabin in Heber, Utah. We were lucky enough to take 6 children 12 and younger with us as well. I lost count on how many times we asked the running in the house to stop, in addition to the repeated request of "stop throwing things at each other". Perhaps one child will suffice this Sucher household :) Ok, maybe not, but we there is definitely a growing into parenthood period that we need to experience before managing a large amount of children again.

We were lucky enough to have the use of Jason Sucher's ATV's. A great time was had by all, even by Kim who got the heavy duties of managing the kids most of the time. She did get a chance to ride the ATV's and although she comes to near complete stop to turn, she had a great time. I was simply amazed on how beautiful the Almighty's creations are. We took some time to get way back into the mountains and take in some of the beauty of the earth.



We enjoyed the experience of introducing the Nintendo Wii to Drew and Ashley. For those not familiar with the Wii, it is an interactive video game system with such games as bowling, tennis, baseball, boxing and golf. Drew and Ashley took an immediate interest in the boxing game. Ashley even went so far as to show Tae-Bo moves as she boxed. I wish that my camera was near by to catch the moves, but I did get grab a few pics that show the enthusiasm of the Whitings.

Today, Monday, we got together with the Wirig side of the family for a family breakfast. After a few hours on indecision the idea of home run derby at a local baseball field was agreed upon. Being a huge baseball fan and a 2 time Orem City softball champion, I figured I would be putting on a show for the 12+ family men that participated. It was evident rather quickly why I have turned my attention to softball and left the playing of baseball to the young folks of the world. As I sit here writing, my legs, back and arms ache, mostly due to a lot of swinging and missing. That is the beauty of softball, it allows me the time to get the 35 lbs I have added since college, in motion and still have a chance to hit the ball. I did manage to get one over the fence and a long way over the fence I might add. Still, my brother Stewart has yet to ever really beat me in anything athletic. Today, I found myself in an unfamiliar situation, that being a loser to Stew in the home run derby. I have come to accept the fact I am young and nimble as I once was, but at least I still have my rugged good looks.

1 comment:

Alaina said...

I think that's cute Kim slows down to turn. I would definitely do the same thing. Maybe it's new motherhood. Maybe we're just chicken.